Merchant Navy Salary in India, Job Profile and Key Insights
Jul 25, 2023, 16:45 IST
This article provides insights into the salary of Merchant Navy in India. To explore further essential information about Merchant Navy Salary, please refer to the complete article.
|Table of Content|
Are you interested in pursuing a career in the Navy and earning substantial income? If so, you should seriously consider the merchant navy. It is a specialized industry involved in commercial activities, encompassing the transportation of passengers and goods through sea routes. The merchant navy plays a significant role globally, as a substantial portion of commercial activities relies on sea transportation. In this article, we will delve into various job profiles and the salary structure within the Merchant Navy.
There are various profiles in the Merchant Navy based on the educational qualifications of a candidate. The posts range from Cadets to Officers and hence, the Merchant Navy salary will range from 25,000 per month to as high as 20 lakhs per month. Check out the Merchant Navy Salary Merchant Navy based on the various profiles
Typically, the starting pay scale in the Merchant Navy ranges from INR 4.80 to 6 LPA, equivalent to INR 40,000 to 50,000 per month. As for an experienced merchant navy officer with over 10 years of relevant experience, the average monthly salary stands at INR 1.64 lakh.
The Merchant Navy in India provides alluring salary packages, which differ depending on one's rank, experience, and the type of vessel they serve on. The competitive salary structure in the Merchant Navy makes it an enticing career choice for individuals seeking adventure, international exposure, and significant financial benefits. Let's delve into the specifics of Merchant Navy Salary in India and the opportunities it presents for those venturing into a career at sea.
|Merchant Navy Salary in India with Qualification|
|Merchant Navy Profile||Qualification||Merchant Navy Salary 2020 (approx.)|
|G P Rating||Class 10||Rs. 25,000 to 60,000 per month|
|Trainee Cadet||Class 12 along with a pre-sea Nautical Diploma||Rs. 25,000 to 85,000 per month|
|Deck Cadet||Class 12 along with a pre-sea Nautical Diploma||Rs. 25,000 to 85,000 per month|
|3rd Officer/ Merchant navy 2nd officer salary in India||2nd Mate (FG) Certificate of Competency||Rs. 1,50,000 to 3,00,000 per month|
|Chief Officer||1st Mate (FG) Certificate of Competency||Rs. 4,00,000 to 6,00,000 per month|
|Merchant Navy Captain salary per month||Master (FG) Certificate of Competency||Rs. 8,65,000 to 20,00,000 per month|
After exploring the salary range in the merchant navy, let's now focus on the various pathways to join this esteemed profession.
Merchant Navy Entrance Exams:
Aspiring candidates are encouraged to prepare for entrance exams alongside their 12th board examinations to secure admission to reputable Merchant Navy colleges. Some of the common entrance exams for this purpose include:
- IMU CET
- JEE Advanced
- MERI Entrance Exams
- TMI SAT
Admission through Sponsorship Based Entry in Merchant Navy:
Candidates have the option to apply for sponsorship from well-known maritime institutes for various maritime programs.
Admission through Lateral Entry (L.E.) into the Second Year of Marine Engineering:
For this pathway, candidates can directly seek admission into the second year of marine engineering programs that are approved by the Directorate General of Shipping. To secure LE seats, candidates must meet either of the following criteria:
- Completion of the first year of engineering with electrical or mechanical specialization, with a minimum aggregate mark of 60%.
- Possession of a Diploma in electrical, mechanical, marine, or ship-building engineering with a minimum mark of 60%.
- These multiple avenues provide diverse opportunities for individuals aspiring to pursue a career in the Merchant Navy.
Candidates aspiring to join the Merchant Navy have several course options available to them, including:
- Merchant Navy Entrance Exams: Candidates can prepare for entrance exams like IMU CET, JEE Advanced, MERI Entrance Exams, and TMI SAT to secure admission to reputed Merchant Navy colleges.
- Sponsorship Based Entry: Candidates can apply for sponsorship from popular maritime institutes to pursue various maritime programs.
- Lateral Entry (L.E.): Candidates can directly seek admission into the second year of marine engineering programs approved by the Directorate General of Shipping. They can achieve this by meeting specific academic criteria related to engineering or possessing a relevant diploma with minimum required marks.
|Courses Available for Merchant Navy|
|B.Tech Marine Engineering||B.Tech Naval Architecture and Offshore Engineering|
|B.Tech Harbour & Ocean Engineering||G.P Rating|
|Marine Engineering under Alternate Training Scheme||BBA Shipping|
|M.B.A. Shipping & Logistics Management||Higher National Diploma (Nautical Science)|
|MBA Shipping Finance||B.E Harbour and Ocean Engineering|
|Diploma in Marine Engineering (DME)||Diploma in Nautical Science (DNS)|
|B.B.A. Logistics & Supply Chain Management||Higher National Diploma (Marine Engineering)|
|B.Tech Ship Building||B.E Marine Engineering|
|B.E. Mechanical Engineering||ETO (Electro-Technical Officer)|
|B.Sc Nautical Science||Electro-Technical Officer Course|
Q1. What does the term "Merchant Navy job" refer to?
Ans. A Merchant Navy job is a specialized occupation involved in commercial activities, which encompasses the transportation of passengers and goods through sea routes.
Q2. What does the term "Merchant Navy" refer to?
Ans. The Merchant Navy comprises a fleet of commercial ships that are responsible for transporting goods, cargo, and passengers across the seas. It is distinct from a naval force and instead represents a civilian maritime industry dedicated to facilitating international trade and transportation.
Q3. What is the maximum salary offered in the Merchant Navy?
Ans. The position of Captain in the Merchant Navy commands the highest salary, ranging from approximately Rs. 8,65,000 to 20,00,000 per month.
Q4. What are the steps to join the Merchant Navy?
Ans. To join the merchant navy, you have the option to apply after completing either the 10th or 12th standard, depending on the specific position you wish to pursue. For higher-ranking positions, candidates are required to have a graduation degree in their respective fields.
Q5. Does the Merchant Navy offer permanent employment?
Ans. In the merchant navy, individuals typically work under contractual agreements. The nature of employment can be either contractual or permanent, depending on whether one receives a salary for specific contracts or a year-round salary in a career as a merchant navy officer.
- What to do after cracking NDA Exam
- How to crack CDS 2 IN 1st-attempt
- How to Crack NDA in 3 Months
- Indian Army Weight and Height Requirement Charts
- Indians Who Won the Oscar Awards
- Top 20 Questions Asked in SSB Interview on Manipur Violence
- Merchant Navy Salary in India, Job Profile and Key Insights
- An ultimate guide for CAPF preparation
- Choose the Right Force for Assistant Commandant Position
- The Ultimate Guide to Agniveer Exam 2023 Preparation