How to Prepare for GATE 2023 - Step by Step Guide
GATE is the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering. Every year, the 7 IITs conduct the exam on a rotational basis. As per the updates, IIT Kanpur will conduct the GATE 2023 Exam. It is one of the toughest exams that provides lucrative job opportunities and career growth in the field of Engineering and Science.
To crack the exam, your preparation must be smart, effective, and systematic. And to make a perfect exam strategy, it is important to know how to prepare for GATE 2023. So to help you out, we have come up with the step by step guide to prepare for the GATE Exam. It will help you to make your preparation easier and more precise.
Read this article further to check the best preparation tips and score well in the exam.
How to Prepare for GATE 2023?
No matter if you are studying at home or coaching, you need a proper strategy for your GATE Preparation. But first, you need to know everything about the exam to make your preparation easy.
Here, we have summed up all these aspects and come up with the best GATE Preparation Strategies. You can check the details below:
Know the Updated Syllabus & Pattern
To start your preparation for the upcoming exam, the basic and important step of knowing the GATE 2023 Syllabus & Paper Pattern.
The syllabus is the summary of topics and units in your subject. And the exam pattern tells you the number of questions, type, marking, etc.
- The paper includes two parts:
- General Aptitude (GA)
- Your Selected Subject
- The paper consists of MCQ, MSQ, and NAT types of questions.
- GATE Exam conducts online once a year for a duration of 3 hours (180 minutes).
- In the syllabus, there are a total of 29 subjects
Select the Best Preparation Books & Study Material
- Once you know the basic details of the exam, you should find out best study material.
- While preparing for the exam, selecting the right GATE Preparation Books and quality study material is a must. A wise choice of books will give you in-depth knowledge of each topic/unit.
- You can refer to books recommended by experts and GATE Toppers of previous exams.
- To make your efforts quite easy, Physicswallah has come up with the GATE Online Coaching and study material generated by the best faculties.
Follow Study Schedule to Prepare for the Exam
After you get all the knowledge for GATE exam preparation, you should make a study schedule. It should be made according to your preference for a particular topic and aptitude.
A timetable makes your studies easier in many ways. A proper GATE Study Plan will help you manage your time:
- To understand each topic in depth.
- For doubt solution after each topic.
- To track your progress for units, you have covered.
- To maintain consistency by setting regular study hours.
- For revision (on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis).
A Habit of Making Notes During GATE Exam Preparation
- When you gather the required material, you should start your preparation.
- And it is good to make notes while studying because you can remember things for a longer period of time.
- Notes mean highlighting important points, definitions, formulas, statements of theorems, and tricks used in a topic. It will help you memorize the topics faster and at the time of revision.
Clear Your Basic Concepts
- To crack the exam, you must have clear all concepts of the topics asked in the exam. If you have any doubts about any topic, clear them immediately by talking with experts.
- It will help you understand the questions in a proper way so that you can get good marks in the exam.
Practice Previous Years Questions & Mock Tests
- You should solve previous papers and mock tests in the last days of the exam.
- Regular practice of GATE Previous Papers helps you to know the types of questions and exam level. And taking GATE Mock Tests provides you an idea of cracking the real-time exam.
- The papers enhance your performance by increasing your speed of solving a question within the given time limit. They will make you aware of the strong and weak points and boost your confidence on exam day.
Revise the Topics Time to Time
Revision is the most important thing during your GATE Exam Preparation. You need to spend at least 1-2 hours on revision.
- Regular revision enables you to remember important formulas and theorems on exam day.
- It helps you to cover the syllabus by remembering everything over the months/ weeks.
- Toppers of the GATE Exam have also insisted on including two days’ revision in a week.
Other than the above tips, you should follow the below-mentioned GATE Exam preparation strategy for General Aptitude section.
How to Prepare for GATE Exam in General Aptitude
The General Aptitude section in GATE is same for all subjects. Candidates are advised to prepare well for this section as well. It includes two parts:
- Numerical Ability
- Verbal Ability
You can refer to the strategy given below for GATE General Aptitude section.
GATE Preparation Tips 2023 for Verbal Ability
- The best way to clear GATE Verbal Ability is to improve your vocabulary.
- You can use online apps to build your vocabulary.
- You can use English podcasts to improve your vocabulary and speaking skills.
- Get into the habit of conversation in English.
- You should solve the questions with the help of shortcuts. You can watch online videos on YouTube for these shortcuts.
- Make a habit of reading newspapers daily.
- Improve your grammatical skills like the use of tenses, adjectives, prepositions, etc.
- Prepare cue cards.
- Note down all the new words you come across with their meanings.
- Read the question before reading the passage. It will give you an idea of the question in advance and will save time.
Numerical Ability Tips for GATE Exam Preparation 2023
- For this section, first of all, you must first cover all the basic fundamentals. It will help you to solve complex questions.
- This section is moderate in difficulty.
- You should learn time-saving techniques like tables up to 40, squares up to 30, cubes up to 20, and percentages for fractions up to 25.
- Write down all the formulas in a chart or book and read them daily.
- Learn how to use shortcuts and apply them.
- Maintain consistency while practicing questions.
GATE Exam Preparation for Last 15 Days
Knowing the GATE strategies for last 15 days will help you to overcome your exam stress. Thus, we have come up with some tips that you should follow to get good marks in the exam.
- Start your revision early in the morning. It will boost your memory power and help you memorize the topics.
- Aspirants must give priority to time management.
- Focus on concepts rather than learning everything.
- Do not start new topics in the last days of exam.
- Revise all the short tricks and formulas on a daily basis.
- Do not touch new books or material to cover the topics in depth. It will make you confuse.
- Most of the questions are numeric, so find short methods to solve them.
- Solve topic-wise questions paper to meet efficiency in each topic.
- In case of any doubt, clear it as soon as possible.
- Task Proper rest and eat healthy.
The above GATE 2023 preparation tips will help you to boost your preparation with or without coaching.
If you have any queries/doubts about the article, you can mention them in the comment section below.
You can also get proper guidance and doubt resolution on your mobile device by subscribing to Physicswallah YouTube channel.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q.1. How to crack GATE Exam in the first attempt?
Ans. GATE is a challenging exam. If you follow the guidelines mentioned above, it is quite easy to crack the at the first attempt. But by following the above tips, you need proper guidance. Also, you need to study in a visualization way. It will be more helpful to remember the topics till the exam day.
You can join Physics Wallah for GATE Exam Preparation. They will provide you with proper guidance to prepare in the right direction.
Q.2. Is it possible to prepare for GATE without coaching?
Ans. Yes, it is possible to crack the exam without any coaching. Many candidates prepare for the exam with their graduation every year, and they crack it.
If you cover all the topics of your B.Tech. syllabus, then you can crack GATE Exam without joining coaching.
Q.3. What are the best GATE preparation tips?
Ans. Understanding the syllabus and dedication towards your studies can help you crack the exam. Also, you can go through the above article to discover the best GATE tips.
Q.4. How much time is needed for GATE preparation?
Ans. A regular study of 7-8 hours a day helps you to prepare for the exam in 8-10 months.
- Cracking GATE 2023 - Key Dates for Answer Key, Response Sheet, and Result Announcement
- GATE CE - Paper Analysis 2023 - A Comprehensive Review for Civil Engineering Aspirants
- Crunch Time - Can You Ace the GATE Exam in 8 Months?
- How will GATE 2023 differ From GATE 2022
- GATE Exam Analysis - Trends and Insights
- Is GATE Exam difficult than CAT Exam
- What is the Best GATE 2023 Crash Course to Join
- The GATE 2023 Candidate Response Sheet Has Been Released - All You Need To Know
- A Guide To Becoming A Gate Computer Science Engineer
- Learn To Code With Online Coding Classes For Beginners