What Is The Future After GATE Exam
Mar 09, 2023, 16:45 IST
Clearing the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is a significant achievement for any engineering graduate. It not only validates your knowledge and understanding of the subject but also opens up a plethora of career opportunities for you. In this article, we will explore the various career paths available after clearing the GATE exam.
It's worth mentioning that the below examples of the opportunities available after GATE can vary based on the discipline you select and your score in the exam. It's always a good idea to explore more options and to be open to opportunities that come your way. The knowledge and skills acquired through GATE preparation can be applied in various fields and industries and becomes fruitful to the candidate in the long run.
|Table of Content|
One of the most popular career paths after clearing the GATE exam is pursuing higher education. Candidates who score well in the GATE exam are eligible for admission to postgraduate programs. This includes Master of Engineering (M.E.), Master of Technology (M.Tech), and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in engineering and technology in top-ranked Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), National Institutes of Technology (NITs) and other premier institutes.
Obtaining a postgraduate degree in engineering and technology can enhance your knowledge and skills. It also increases your chances of getting better job opportunities and higher salaries. Moreover, many institutes offer financial assistance or scholarships to GATE-qualified students, making it easier for them to pursue higher education. While thinking how to start preparing for gate, your unconscious mind allows you to go for higher education.
Clearing the GATE exam makes you eligible for various positions in public sector undertakings (PSUs) such as Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL), Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC), Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL), and many more. These PSUs recruit candidates for various engineering and technical positions, such as engineers, managers, and executives.
List of PSUs Hiring Gate Qualified Candidates
|Maharatna||Navratna||Miniratna Category 1||Miniratna Category 2|
Additionally, GATE-qualified candidates are also eligible for recruitment to different government organizations such as the Indian Railways, Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC), and the like.
Clearing the GATE exam also opens up various opportunities in the private sector. Many private companies, particularly those in the engineering and technology sector, consider GATE scores while recruiting engineers and technical professionals for various positions. Some of the private sector jobs that GATE-qualified candidates can consider include
- Engineer - GATE-qualified engineers are eligible for various engineering positions in private companies, such as design engineers, project engineers, production engineers, and more.
- Technical Professional - GATE-qualified candidates can also find opportunities as technical professionals in various fields, such as research and development, quality control, and technical support.
- Management - GATE scores can also be considered for management roles in the private sector, such as operations managers, project managers, and supply chain managers.
- IT - Companies such as Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), Infosys, Wipro, and many more, recruit GATE-qualified candidates for various engineering and technical positions.
- Consulting - GATE-qualified candidates can also explore job opportunities in consulting firms, which typically offer services in the areas of engineering, technology, and management.
- Sales and Marketing - GATE-qualified engineers can also consider roles in sales and marketing, especially in the domain of technical product
With GATE scores, candidates can also explore job opportunities in state electricity boards. Many state electricity boards across the country have started collaborating with Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) to recruit engineers and technical professionals through GATE scores. Some of the state electricity boards where GATE-qualified candidates can find job opportunities include the West Bengal State Electricity Distribution Company Limited (WBSEDCL), the Punjab State Power Corporation Limited (PSPCL), and the Odisha Power Generation Corporation Limited (OPGEN), etc.
Another career path after clearing the GATE exam is teaching and research. GATE-qualified candidates are eligible for teaching positions in engineering colleges and universities. Pursuing a teaching career in engineering can be a fulfilling and rewarding experience, as it allows you to share your knowledge and experience with students and contribute to the next generation of engineers. In addition, pursuing teaching and research allows you to keep updated with the latest advancements in the field, and this will also help in your professional growth.
Research is also a rewarding path, that allows you to pursue your interests and contribute to new knowledge in your field. Many universities and research institutions offer opportunities for GATE-qualified candidates to work on cutting-edge research projects, collaborate with leading experts in their field, and publish their findings in reputable journals.
It's important to note that these career paths may require additional qualifications, such as a Ph.D. or a Post-Doctoral degree. It's also important to check the availability of positions in universities and research institutions before applying.
GATE scores can also make you eligible for Government sponsored programs like Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO), ISRO, BARC, Doordarshan, Indian Air Force (IAF), Indian Navy, and the Indian Army, etc. These programs usually span around two years, after which the individual may be required to work for the sponsoring company post the completion of the M.Tech or M.E. degree.
Clearing the GATE exam can also be a stepping stone for candidates interested in entrepreneurship. GATE-qualified candidates possess the necessary knowledge and skills to start an engineering or technology-based venture. They can leverage their technical expertise to create innovative products and solutions that can be commercialized to large masses.
Clearing the GATE exam can also open up various opportunities in the research field. GATE scores are considered a benchmark for recruiting candidates for research positions in organizations such as Bhaba Atomic Research Centre (BARC), where candidates are screened through a recruitment process. Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) has started to shortlist the candidates via GATE scores in recent years. It has opened a new avenue for GATE-qualified candidates to explore research opportunities.
It's worth mentioning that these are a few examples of the opportunities available after GATE, as these can vary based on the discipline you select and your score in the exam. It's always a good idea to explore more options and to be open to opportunities that come your way. The knowledge and skills acquired through GATE can be applied in various fields and industries and becomes fruitful to the candidate in the long run.
How to improve the chances of selection for a job or higher education program?
- Clearing the GATE exam opens a wide range of career opportunities for engineering graduates. Whether you want to pursue higher education, work in the public or private sector, or start your venture, GATE provides the platform to launch a successful and fulfilling career in engineering and technology.
- It's essential to remember that, whatever path you choose, your GATE scores should be considered as just one of the many contributing factors to your career success. It's crucial to hone your soft skills, network, and acquire relevant experience if you want to make the most of the chances that are accessible.
- When considering how to crack gate exam, it's vital to take the time to research and explore your options about your career roadmap before making a decision. Additionally, be sure to keep an open mind and don't be afraid to take risks or consider opportunities that may not have been on your radar before. With hard work, dedication, and the right approach, you can achieve your career goals and build a successful and rewarding career in the field of engineering and technology.
Clearing the GATE exam can lead to diverse career options such as higher education, public sector, private sector, teaching and research, and Entrepreneurship. It's important to keep oneself updated with the latest trends, develop soft skills, gain experience, and make connections in the field. It's a great stepping stone to launch a successful and fulfilling career in engineering and technology.
Q1. How can I stay updated on the latest industry trends and developments in my field?
Ans. One way to stay updated on the latest industry trends and developments in your field is to join professional societies and attend industry conferences and events. These events provide opportunities to learn about new developments, connect with other professionals in your field, and hear from experts in your field. Additionally, reading industry publications and following industry leaders on social media can also help you stay informed about the latest trends and developments.
Q2. How can I network and connect with other professionals in my field?
Ans. Networking and building connections with other professionals in your field can be beneficial for your career growth. Joining professional societies and attending industry conferences and events can provide opportunities to connect with other professionals in your field. Additionally, reaching out to colleagues, alumni, and professionals in your field through LinkedIn or other social media can also be a great way to build your network.
Q3. What are the advantages of the FPM program in management studies over an MBA?
Ans. The Fellowship Program (FPM) in management studies focuses more on research and rigorous academics, whereas MBA is more focused on business management. FPM is considered an alternative to MBA for individuals who are interested in a career in academia, research or management consulting. Admissions to FPM are highly selective and usually require a GATE, CAT, or other similar exams score, an interview, and the candidate's research proposal. On the other hand, the MBA program is more focused on business management and requires less research than FPM and less stringent entry requirements.
- GATE vs ESE: A Comparative Analysis of Paper Patterns and Exam Structures
- What Is The Difference Between Civil Engineering and Architecture
- 5 Unrevealed Hidden Facts Regarding The GATE Exam and Preparation
- List Of All PSUs Through the GATE Examination
- 6 Best Opportunities After GATE Exam
- How Much Engineering Category Comes Under in GATE Entrance Exam
- Online V/S Offline GATE (ESE) Coaching Classes - Differences, Comparison, and a Solved Debate
- IIT-Kanpur has Released GATE-2023 Result - How To Check & Download
- Cracking GATE 2023 - Key Dates for Answer Key, Response Sheet, and Result Announcement
- GATE CE - Paper Analysis 2023 - A Comprehensive Review for Civil Engineering Aspirants