Career Opportunities After GATE Entrance
One of the most challenging examinations for engineering graduates in India is the GATE full form which is the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering. It is conducted for postgraduate course admission, including at prestigious institutions like IITs and NITs.
Additionally, PSU recruiting takes advantage of GATE results. Every year, the exam is conducted on behalf of the National Coordination Board (NCB)-GATE, Department of Higher Education, MHRD, Government of India by one of the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore, and seven Indian Institutes of Technology (at Bombay, Kanpur, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras, and Roorkee).
The GATE examination is conducted online (Computer Based Test (CBT) in many centers dispersed throughout various cities in India as well as in numerous places outside of India.
The GATE exam sites are divided into eight zones, each with a list of locations where the national-level engineering postgraduate admission exam is held. Additionally, applicants should be informed that GATE test results are only valid for three years from the date of results publication.
|Table of Content|
Candidates must fulfill the requirements given by the authorities to be eligible to sit in the GATE test. The GATE exam eligibility requirements will include factors like country, age restriction, educational requirement, minimum score, and more.
The general qualifying requirements for GATE 2023 are listed below for candidates' review:
- No age restriction is in place.
- Nationality: Applicants must be Indian nationals. However, if they match the criteria, applicants from other nations may apply for GATE.
- No minimum pass percentage is required for the qualifying degree.
- Academic background - Candidates must have obtained a postgraduate (M.Sc.) degree in any relevant science field or be in their final year or pre-final of a bachelor's degree in engineering or technology (B.E./B.Tech).
- Candidates who obtained their qualifying degree from a country other than India should be in their third or higher year of study or have completed their Bachelor's degree in engineering, technology, science, arts, or commerce (at least three years).
Before beginning their study, candidates must carefully review the GATE exam pattern.
Candidates will be able to learn specifics like the duration of the test, subjects, the number of questions, the marking scheme, and more by going through the GATE exam pattern. This will improve applicants' preparation by assisting them in better understanding how the GATE will be administered. View the GATE test schedule below:
|Exam Duration||3 hours (180 minutes)|
|Number of Questions||65|
There will be two question types:
Number of sections
Will comprise of total 3 sections except for AR, CY, GG, EY, XL, PH and MA papers :
General Aptitude, Engineering Mathematics (for XL papers it is Chemistry) and Subject – Specific section
General Aptitude Section
Will consist of a compulsory General Aptitude (GA) section constituting 10 questions. 5 of the questions among 10 will carry 1 mark and the rest 5 will carry 2 marks each. Total marks - 15.
MCQs - 1 mark for each correct answer; 1/3 mark will be deducted for every wrong answer.
MCQs - 2 marks for each correct answer; 2/3 marks will be deducted for every incorrect response.
MCQs - One or two marks for each correct answer.
There is no negative marking for Multiple Select Questions (MSQ) and Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions
- After the GATE exam, a qualified candidate has a wide range of job options. It is wrong that a candidate can only choose an M.tech after passing the GATE.
- A GATE exam qualified individual can be hired by private and public sectors today. They are also eligible for numerous fellowship courses, management programs, Ph. D. programs, and can study at prestigious Indian or international universities
- Let's explore them in detail
M.Tech Opportunities After GATE Exam
After passing the GATE exam, several people choose to study for an M.Tech. You must have a high GATE score to be eligible for postgraduate studies. During their 2-year master's degree, individuals with good GATE scores will receive a stipend and other benefits. The candidate will be hired by famous companies.
Different benefits of the M.Tech program are-
- Better job opportunities
- Higher pay packages
- Subject specialization
- Handsome stipend
After passing the GATE exam, you have a variety of research opportunities. The results of the GATE exam are valid for two years. After completing your M.Tech., you can pursue research if you have a strong interest in the subject you have selected.
The various organizations that hire M. tech passed GATE graduates are-
- The CSIR offers a junior research fellowship with a good salary.
- Bhaba Atomic Research Center (BARC) manages several research programs for GATE-qualified applicants. You must pass a recruitment test to be chosen for the BARC research program.
- Since 2020, ISRO has also started hiring GATE graduates for research jobs.
Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) Recruitment
Today, various public sector units are providing job opportunities to candidates who pass the GATE exam. In previous years, several aspirants are shortlisted for positions at PSU depending on their GATE scores.
The benefits of working at PSU are-
- High pay packages (above Rs 50,000 per month)
- Work-life balance
- Electricity or oil at a subsidized rate
- Access to healthcare, PFs, pensions
State Electricity Boards Through GATE
Today, a lot of state electricity boards work with IITs to hire students through the GATE exam.
Some of the State Electricity boards given below where you can get a job after the GATE exam include-
- Punjab State Power Corporation Limited (PSPCL)
- West Bengal State Electricity Distribution Company Limited (WBSEDCL)
- Odisha Power Generation Corporation Limited (OPGEN).
Opportunity to Study Abroad After GATE
After passing the GATE exam, you can get opportunities to study abroad at prestigious universities. For candidates who want to pursue an MA or Ph.D. as a post-graduate degree and whose percentile is over 90, the Technical Institute of Germany, the National University of Singapore, and Nanyang Technological University accept GATE scores. Such candidates do not have to give GRE or TOEFL. Keep in mind that GATE scores only remain valid for two years. So, you should apply within 2 years to the university if you plan to study abroad.
Sponsorship Opportunities After GATE Exam
After passing the GATE exam, there are various sponsorship opportunities for the students. If you received a high GATE score and a good Rank, you can apply for sponsorships for organizations like ISRO, DRDO, BARC, Indian Navy, Doordarshan, IAF, etc. It is a two-year program. After completing your MTech or ME, you can continue working for the scholarship organization for two years.
Fellowship Program in Management (FPM)
The IIMs provide a Ph.D. program called the Fellow Programme in Management (FPM). This program is free and is designed to empower students to recognize, analyse, and research complex management-related issues.
The majority of colleges offer free boarding and housing to all students. Moreover, students are also eligible for a fantastic monthly scholarship for the duration of their studies.
There are some of the characteristics of the FPM program are given below-
- A stipend of Rs 29,000–30,000 per month is provided.
- There will be no tuition for four years and nine months.
- A house-rent allowance (HRA) of Rs 8,000 for single students and Rs 13,000 for married students is given to students who live off campus.
Post Graduate Diploma in Management
You can also choose to pursue a Postgraduate Diploma from NITIE through your GATE score.
The National Institute of Industrial Engineering (NITIE) offers many PGDM programs, such as the following-
- Post Graduate Diploma in Industrial Engineering (PGDIE)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Manufacturing Management (PGDMM)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Project Management (PGDPM)
The applicant must have a valid GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) score for all the above Programs.
Nowadays, a lot of colleges and universities regularly hire postgraduate engineering candidates from campuses. After completing your ME or M-Tech, you can apply for professor positions at various universities and famous schools. Depending on your qualifications or academic record, you can become a lecturer or professor. Many private institutions in India used to educate candidates for the GATE exam. At some of these universities, you can also work as a teacher and earn a good salary as a GATE mentor or instructor.
The Indian Institute of Science (IISc) and seven of the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) administer and conduct the GATE exam. After passing the GATE exam, many applicants search for the best opportunities in the appropriate path. Any GATE candidate who meets the requirements can choose various categories. Every year, almost a million people take the GATE exam, and unlike in the past, you are no longer limited to going into MTech if you pass. You have a wide range of job options including private and PSU hiring, Ph.D. programs, fellowship programs, and management programs.
Q1. Can I get a job directly after the GATE exam?
Ans. Yes, you can get a job after cracking the GATE exam. The candidates have a lot of opportunities with this exam.
Q2. What are the benefits of the GATE exam?
Ans. You can pursue M. Tech. or ME at select reputable universities like IITs, NITs, or IISC after passing the GATE exam. You can select your preferred institutes based on your main subjects and GATE score. These universities, but, are free to choose their cutoff for admission.
Q3. What if the GATE score is low?
Ans. The best part is that students who performed low on the GATE exam have many other colleges to which they can apply and enter university. Moreover, the score of the GATE exam does not matter. Candidates who have taken some state entrance exams are also given direct admission.
Q4. Can I get into IIT without GATE?
Ans. Without clearing Gate examination, one can not get admission into IIT.