Future of Inclusive Education in India
“There is no greater disability in society than the inability to see the person as a more.” - by Robert M Hensel
According to the statistics, only 21% of the schools adhere to inclusive education in India, and about 1.3% of educators can provide inclusive education.
In this world, every child has been discriminated against for some reason, whether it’s their disability, race, religion, language, gender, etc. Every child has the right to be supported to learn and grow and to be able to go to school.
Inclusive education has become a crucial need in the education system. Not only for the betterment of society but to provide equal rights to every student. Today we’re going to pinpoint the aspect of Inclusive education and understand the term in a broader view.
What is Inclusive Education?
It means to educate different and diverse students with regular students in the same classroom and provide them with similar education. To involve them in the after-school activities, student body, meet and greet, and sports activities like every other kid.
It is regarding how schools created classrooms so every student can study in the classroom without any trouble. In a truly inclusive environment, every student will feel safe and comfortable and have a sense of belonging in the community.
It must also ensure that every student gets the help and support they need and can access all the study material. Inclusive education is not for a few students but everyone.
Key Features of Inclusive Education
There’re some key features of inclusive education in India:
- Acceptance of students
Accepting students with disabilities in regular classrooms and providing them the equal educational opportunities is a must and a primary feature of inclusive education.
- Children support
Providing support to all the students, teachers, and classrooms. Find out the abilities and skills they acquire in any field.
Develop educational goals for the students according to their skills, interests, and abilities. Setting goals for them will help them achieve their targets without trouble.
- Active Classrooms
Classrooms have been created so every student can sit there and study without concern and confusion. Active learning gives students a sense of belonging in the environment.
- Teaching techniques
Teachers should acknowledge the various ways of teaching to understand students and help them with their queries and concerns. CBSE Board acknowledges the problem and tends to help them as well.
Why is Inclusive Education necessary?
It provides better quality education and works wonder while holding attention to all the students. School is where the student learns the meaning of nature and the outside world.
A student's experience should be good to make them a good human being. Respect and understanding others will help them to grow and understand the world better. Students do not know about racism, discrimination, or disabilities. It’s the society and the people who teach which should be forbidden.
Characteristics of Inclusive Education
- Student’s worth - It carries the value/worth of every student equally. Respect and treating everyone equally is a top priority in this education system.
- Lowers the barriers - It also reduces the barriers to education for the students. Now every student can study without worrying. Providing equal opportunities is the primary dream of every student in their life.
- Student participation - Equal opportunities for every student, the participation of students in every activity as it provides exposure to the students.
- Right of the students - Students have the right to educate themselves. Inclusive education provides all the rights to students with disabilities and provides a learning environment and material.
- Society/community development - One of the most alluring aspects of inclusive education is social development. If the students learn not to differentiate from the beginning, they’ll also understand the quality of life in the future.
Basic Elements of Inclusive Education
- Special educators - These TAs and educators have experience with inclusive assessments. These specialists will help the educators handle all kinds of student activities. They focus on every student individually and mark their progress towards their goals.
- Throughout mentors - Every student will have a mentor who will be present for them every time. They’ll focus on the interaction level or if they’re facing any problem in the classroom or school.
- Parental support - In the general education system, parental involvement is minimal. It is bounded to 2 times a year parent-teacher conferences, emails, etc., but with inclusive education, there’ll be more than one way to reach out to them.
- Curriculum - This curriculum includes team-building activities between majority and minority students, sports events, student body opportunities, and many more. It also boosts your confidence and gives you exposure to better opportunities.
How can we advance it?
- Make sure that all the educators are well trained, flexible, and have the right ideology about the course and the students.
- Provide them with adequate financial support to the schools and make sure that they’re getting all the resources they need
- Connect with the parents and ask them to support their child
- Ask the government to take responsibility and hold them accountable for making the decisions regarding removing barriers.
Inclusive Education System
- Commitment - It needs time to make changes, so it is necessary to get full support from the education ministries and use it throughout the school.
- Teachers - Everyone needs support and guidance to achieve their goals; the same goes for it. Teachers need guidance to understand the concerns of the students, and students need resources to achieve their targets.
- Inclusive environment - Students need a diverse, safe environment around them, and people respect each other concerning their race, gender, or disability.
- Partnership - Partnership between parents, students, and teachers is necessary. You all need to connect to understand and resolve the problem any of you are facing.
- Progress monitor - It is crucial to monitor the student's progress to ensure they’re attaining their goals. Another reason is that it gives you a brief about the student's skills and abilities.
Education for students is crucial, there’re several schools in India for specially-abled children, but the number is still a few. But one clear thing is that inclusive schools will benefit students.
We all need to understand and figure out how to implement inclusive education for children to improve their future. If we pinpoint the broader aspect, not only the children's future but the country's growth and societal behavior will also heal.
With all the information mentioned above, you can now easily understand the value of inclusive education in India and the rate of inclusive schools and educators in India.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. What is inclusive education?
Ans. It means to educate different and diverse students with students without any disability in the same classroom and provide them with similar education.
Q2. What are the 5 principles of inclusive education?
Ans. The 5 principles of inclusive education are the Principle of togetherness, the Principle of participation, the Principle of change, the Principle of acceptance, and the Principle of equality.
Q3. What are the benefits of inclusive education?
Ans. You can easily communicate with people. It also increases your problem-solving skills, behavior, nature of a person, self-image and respect for others, etc.