Taking the GATE Exam - Benefits and Prepare With or Without Coaching
The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an annual national exam jointly organized by the IISc and IITs. This exam is taken by engineering graduates who want to enroll in PSU or continue their education. Since GATE is one of the most challenging exams offered at the national level, most students seek advice from offline or online coaching.
However, this idea conflicts with the fact that we have previously seen several kids complete the GATE exam without receiving any coaching. Coaching undoubtedly provides direction for exam preparation, but not every student may choose to participate.
|Table of Content|
1. GATE exam admission to M.E., M.Tech., and M.Sc. programs: The GATE exam can be used to get into M.E., M.Tech., or M.Sc. programs at prestigious Indian universities like IISC, IITs, NITs, etc.
- Studying at these universities is a rewarding experience since they offer a setting that supports intellectual fulfillment and long-term financial stability.
2. ME/M. Tech stipends via the GATE exam: For 8 hours of work per week, students in the ME/M. Tech programs receive a compensation of Rs. 12,400 per month for 24 months. This guarantees that the students will receive the necessary financial aid to finish their course.
3. GATE exam utilized for PSU recruitment: The GATE exam is used for hiring into several PSUs, including NTPC, ONGC, SAIL, BHEL, IOCL, CIL, GAIL, etc.
- These PSUs are state-owned businesses, and joining them can lead to a well-paying career and stable finances.
- Additionally, it's probable that soon the remaining PSUs will conduct GATE exam recruitment.
4. GATE is used to recruit for research institutes: Several research institutes hire candidates using the GATE exam. Engineers who pass the GATE exam are eligible for Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) and Senior Research Fellowship (SRF) awards from the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research. These scholarships provide a monthly stipend of Rs 31 000 to Rs 35 000.
5. GATE test recruitment for BARC: India's nuclear research facility is called the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC).
- After selection, BARC offers training before placing the candidates as Scientific Officer Cs with the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board or the DAE units.
- The GATE score is used to shortlist candidates for the interview procedure.
6. Teaching jobs following the GATE exam: A ME/M. A Tech degree is required to apply for teaching positions in Indian universities.
- Being a graduate of a reputable university is a must for landing a teaching position at a top university, and this can only be done by scoring highly on the GATE exam.
7. Through the GATE test, foreign studies: Universities like Nanyang Technological University (Singapore), RWTH Aachen (Germany), National University of Singapore (Singapore), TU Munich (Germany), and others use the GATE score as a criterion for admission to Masters and Ph.D. programs without requiring a GRE score.
8. After passing the GATE exam, there is a greater probability of being hired by top MNCs: After passing the GATE exam, candidates with post-graduate degrees from prestigious Indian universities have a better chance of being hired by prestigious multinational corporations (MNCs) like Google, CISCO, SKODA, Siemens, Samsung, Maruti, LG Electronics, etc. These firms demand highly qualified candidates and pay the corresponding salaries.
In this section, we have highlighted some common guidelines for GATE preparation with coaching which help them to score excellant marks in the examination.
1. Group Discussion
- Communicating with someone is the best way to get unstuck in your studies during the preparation phase. It would help if you had constructive interactions with your lecturers and fellow students.
- This will inform you of your friends' advancement and inspire you to study. It is always helpful to discuss ideas and subjects with peers or teachers. Join as many online GATE preparation groups as possible; there will be plenty of opportunities to learn new things.
2. Make a Proper Revision Strategy
- Revision is one of the most crucial aspects of GATE preparation. To ensure that everything stays fresh in your mind, you must allow enough time to review various themes and chapters.
- Set aside a few hours each day for revision because it will aid your progress and help you understand the material better. This will also give you an idea of how many chapters and views you have read have stuck with you. Regular revisions should be made.
3. Keep Calm
- While it's crucial to concentrate on your studies, it's equally essential to maintain your physical and mental health. No matter how diligently you have studied, you will not be able to do well on the exam if you are ill and not feeling well.
- As a result, be careful to eat well, get adequate rest, and take breaks between study sessions. During holidays, you can always engage in extracurricular pursuits to relax.
4. Choose the Right Reference Resources
- You can consult your undergraduate textbooks to help you study for GATE since the exam's syllabus may be comparable. However, additional books for reference are strongly advised in addition to the textbooks.
- You will be able to get a broader range of knowledge that will be beneficial during the exam by consulting additional books. You can watch online lectures and look into previous GATE toppers' interviews in addition to the finest books for GATE to learn more about their sources of study.
- Before beginning the preparation, take in mind the following few suggestions. We'll go over each one individually.
- The first step is to decide and prepare the mind for GATE before continuing. If in doubt, choose to take the GATE as soon as possible.
1. Know the Examination Syllabus & Pattern
- Since the GATE Exam is administered annually by many IITs/IISc, visit the official GATE 2022 website and obtain the syllabus for the branch that interests you. Review the GATE syllabus to learn more about the test's requirements.
- The first step everyone should take is to familiarize themselves with the paper before beginning its preparation. Analyzing the question paper from the prior year is the finest technique to comprehend any document. To understand the GATE Exam format, analyze past years' papers.
2. Select Relevant Study Material
- After becoming familiar with the GATE Exam's syllabus and format, you must select the books and study materials you find most appealing. Read the syllabus and become familiar with the test's requirements.
- The first thing everyone should do is familiarize themselves with the paper before beginning to prepare for it. Analyzing the question paper from the prior year is the finest technique to comprehend any document.
3. Schedule a Proper Daily Plan
- For any long-term objective, creating a Time Table or Routine is crucial. Make a schedule that covers all the topics immediately, and then make a daily plan. Divide the syllabus into smaller pieces, then the divisions into several zones designated by a distinct color.
- The syllabus's shorter sections are the most doable daily objectives. Include these shorter portions in the daily planner and begin addressing those subjects one at a time.
- Keep going, and don't waste time figuring out what schedule or timeline will work. Just get started studying and plan your approach because everyone learns differently. Don't adopt other people's routines. "Build your success route map."
4. Use Flashcards
- Begin creating flashcards and brief notes. Make notes of formulas and ideas that are crucial for studying. Create flashcards with critical definitions or keywords for later review.
- When reviewing all the topics immediately before the GATE Exam 2022, having brief notes and flashcards can save time and effort. Keep flashcards close at hand, and consult them directly if unsure of any term.
5. Daily Analysis
- Knowing one's skills and flaws is helpful when preparing for the GATE Exam. So, every day, analyze the green (topics that are easy to discuss) and red (issues that are difficult or uncomfortable) zones.
- Work on familiar topics, such as those in the "green zone," throughout ongoing GATE preparation, and then polish them. Start perfecting issues in the red zone and turning them green after finishing the green area.
- The syllabus can be color-coded using Excel files. It will improve morale to color code and break the syllabus into manageable sections.
6. Be consistent
- Being constant is essential for success. Talent can occasionally be defeated by perseverance. It will be challenging to follow the schedule at first. There will be lots of mistakes.
- But remember that failure is a necessary component of the path. Do not give up, and keep pushing forward. Do your best to remain consistent and avoid letting dissatisfaction disrupt the flow. Keep in mind that improvement might occasionally be slow.
7. Study carefully
- Spend time covering everything on the syllabus and keep your attention on that. Try to complete the course material on time. In the GATE Exam, engineering mathematics and general aptitude make up about 30% of the total weight. Spend at least an hour each day on both topics.
- It will aid in breaking up the routine of fundamental subjects and help to clear the mind of engineering topics. It might occasionally be difficult to prepare independently, and it can be challenging to comprehend the issues when questions arise.
8. Join study groups
- Join study groups Hundreds of students use numerous Telegram channels to study together and encourage one another. Long-term benefits come from joining these kinds of communities. But these organizations also cause distractions.
9. Mock test
- The most excellent approach to preparing for any exam is by taking mock examinations and sample papers. Mock tests are offered by numerous teaching facilities and online testing centers.
- Review study notes every day or every week. Join a test series and continue to analyze your preparation with mock exams. The Physics Wallah Exam Prep Test Series is another option.
- Do as many mock tests as you can. Answer questions from last year and then frequently evaluate performance.
10. Be Healthy
- Finally, physical and mental health are prerequisites for performing well on the exam. A good number of breaks should be taken between study sessions to give your mind a chance to rest.
- During pauses, indulge in extracurricular activities like reading, listening to music, or engaging in other activities. Make sure you get adequate sleep and eat well as well. Your planning and effort will be for naught if you get sick before the test.
Even though the GATE exam is challenging and has a low success rate, several outstanding students have passed the test alongside their peers each year. The primary requirement is to maintain confidence and avoid becoming overwhelmed by difficulties. You can give the Gate exam by researching if you are committed to doing so.
Q1. Is GATE coaching essential?
Ans. You don't need to join coaching if you are serious about your GATE 2022 preparation, want to make the most of your time, and did well in your graduate studies. Just sit down and begin studying.
Q2. What serves as the motivation behind the GATE exam?
Ans. The GATE exam is designed to gauge students' proficiency in engineering and science-related courses. Many PSUs (Public Sector Undertakings) use the GATE scorecard when hiring candidates for prestigious positions at companies like Indian Oil, GAIL, and Hindustan Petroleum.
Q3. What advantages do third-year GATE candidates receive?
Ans. Engineering GATE-qualified individuals may also apply for the Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) and Senior Research Fellowship (SRF) in CSIR Laboratories. The JRF and SRF are fellowships with stipends. CSIR laboratories' compensation typically ranges from INR 15,000 to INR 20,000.
Q4. How should I best get ready for the GATE?
Ans. Practice with past GATE exams and mock exams: Using GATE practice tests and previous year's papers is a great approach to familiarize yourself with the format of the GATE exam. You can learn more about the types of questions, difficulty levels of question papers, test patterns, and other things by completing last year's forms.
Q5. How can I get ready for a full-time GATE job?
Ans. Purchasing study guides from reputable GATE coaching centers is a lot simpler strategy. Add one more book to it that you can use to clarify any questions. You can always enroll in a good institute's postal course; this will simplify your work and serve as a valuable tool for employment preparation.
Q6. Are engineering students required to take GATE?
Ans. And the reply is negative! GATE is not yet required of all B. Tech students, as stated by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE). However, if we are talking about 2021–2022, it is evident from their perspective that this exam is entirely optional for students. They may change their minds in the future.