AIIMS Exam Pattern, Marking Scheme And Preparation Tips
Aug 15, 2023, 16:45 IST
AIIMS exam pattern has been announced by the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Delhi. The entrance exam is conducted annually for those who are aspiring for admission to the MBBS courses offered by AIIMS colleges. However, the competition is very tough and candidates have to be well-versed in the AIIMS exam pattern. Qualifying for the entrance exam makes one eligible to apply for admission to the fifteen AIIMS exams.
The college is not conducting the AIIMS exam for the last two years. Admission is offered considering the marks secured in the NEET Exam. Candidates can resort to this page to know about the AIIMS exam pattern, marking scheme, preparation tips etc.
|Table of Content|
AIIMS is one of the coveted medical entrance exams conducted by AIIMS Delhi. Candidates qualifying for the exam become eligible to apply for admission to the MBBS programme offered by AIIMS colleges. The candidates can get an insight into the highlights associated with the exam from the table below.
|AIIMS Exam Pattern Highlights|
|Particulars||AIIMS Exam Highlights|
|Exam Name||AIIMS MBBS|
|Conducting Body||All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Delhi|
|Number of Exam Sessions||
|Exam Mode||Computer-Based Test i.e. Online Mode|
|Exam Type||Objective type|
|Location of Examination Centres||Tentatively 153 cities in India|
|Exam Duration||3 hours and 30 minutes|
As per the latest rules, the AIIMS entrance exam 2023 is conducted based on the exam pattern suggested for NEET by the National Testing Agency. Here are some of the highlights of the exam pattern:
- The AIIMS exam 2023 is going to be held online mode
- The question paper shall be based on 13 languages including Hindi and English
- The questions asked will be multiple choice based
- For each correct answer, 1 mark will be awarded. The negative marking shall depend on the nature of the question and the marking scheme prescribed
|AIIMS Exam Pattern|
|AIIMS Subject||Number of Questions||Total Marks||Duration|
|Physics||60||60||3 hours and 30 minutes|
|Aptitude and Logical Thinking||10||10|
|Total||200||200||3 hours and 30 minutes|
Unlike other exams, AIIMS does not have a universal marking scheme for all of its questions. The marking scheme is different as per the AIIMS exam pattern for the different question types. The board has bifurcated the question category and deduced an AIIMS marking scheme that works best for it. The following table can be checked to know about the marking scheme.
|AIIMS Marking Scheme|
|Question Type||AIIMS Marking Scheme|
|Multiple true-false type||1/5 mark awarded for every correct answer, 1/5 mark deducted for every wrong answer|
|Single best answer type||1 mark awarded for every correct answer, 1/3 mark deducted for every wrong answer|
|Match the following type||1/4 mark awarded for every correct answer, 1/4 mark deducted for every wrong answer|
|Sequential arrangement type||1 mark awarded for every correct answer, 1 mark deducted for every wrong answer|
|Multiple completion type||1 mark awarded for every correct answer, 1/4 mark deducted for every wrong answer|
|Reason assertion type||1 mark awarded for every correct answer, 1/4 mark deducted for every wrong answer|
|Extended matching items/questions||1/2 mark awarded for every correct answer, 1/2 mark deducted for every wrong answer|
The candidates attempting the AIIMS examination will be selected based on the category-wise seat reservation. The board has prescribed the percentage of seats applicable for all the categories separately. Get an idea of the same in the table below.
|AIIMS Category wise Reservation|
|Category||AIIMS Category Wise Reservation|
|Scheduled Tribe (ST)||7.5|
|Scheduled Caste (SC)||15|
|Non-Creamy – Other Backward Classes (NC-OBC)||27|
|People with Benchmark Disability (PWBD)||5|
Check: AIIMS Exam Date
AIIMS exam is conducted only for admission to MBBS seats applicable for the institutions. The seats are limited in these colleges which makes the competition intense and tough for average candidates. Here are some preparation tips applicable to the AIIMS exam pattern.
- Candidates should commence their AIIMS exam preparation by developing a deep understanding of the subject. Special emphasis should be given to topics like Mechanics, Optics, Electricity, Magnetism, and Modern Physics. These topics account for a maximum number of questions in the exam. Hence, candidates should focus on practising numerical and MCQ based on these chapters.
- To tackle the vast syllabus of Chemistry, divide the subject into three sections, Inorganic, Organic, and Physical Chemistry. Analyse the question papers of the last five years to understand about the topic-wise weightage. Pay special attention to topics like Chemical Bonding, Coordination Compounds, Organic Reactions, and Thermodynamics. Make short notes and practice numerals based on these chapters to ace the subject with high marks.
- Biology is the game changer for medical exams like AIIMS and thus should be given special emphasis. The candidates should develop a comprehensive understanding of all the topics covered in Biology, including Cell Biology, Genetics, Ecology, Physiology, and Human Anatomy. Develop a knack for major diagrams and scientific names as these account for a maximum number of questions.
- General Aptitude and Reasoning can be aced by giving special attention to the last five-year papers. Also, resort to current affairs and daily news updates to stay ahead in the AIIMS exam competition.
Q 1. What is the AIIMS exam pattern?
Ans. As per the AIIMS exam pattern, the candidates will have to answer 200 questions from Physics, Chemistry, Biology and General aptitude.
Q 2. Is there any marking scheme for the AIIMS 2023 exam?
Ans. Yes, the board has announced the marking scheme separately for all types of questions asked in the AIIMS 2023 exam.
Q 3. How many subjects are asked as per the AIIMS exam pattern?
Ans. There are four sections in the exam namely, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and General Knowledge and Aptitude.
Q 4. Is there any sectional timing in the AIIMS exam pattern?
Ans. No, there is no sectional timing in the AIIMS examination. Candidates have to attempt the paper in the composite duration only.
Q 5. Are AIIMS and NEET exams the same?
Ans. No, the AIIMS exam is held for admission to only AIIMS colleges whereas qualifying NEET makes one eligible for admission to Medical, Dental, and Ayush courses.
|AIIMS Exam Important Links|
|AIIMS Syllabus||AIIMS Eligibility|
|AIIMS Cut OFF||AIIMS Registration|
|AIIMS Result||AIIMS Admit Card|
Check More NEET Exam Important Links
|NEET Exam Important Links|
|NEET 2024||NEET UG Counselling 2023|
|NEET 2024 Exam Date||NEET Cut Off|
|NEET Eligibility Criteria||NEET Admit Card|
|NEET Exam Pattern||NEET 2024 Registration|
|NEET Syllabus||NEET Sample paper|