. Draw the tetrahedral dimer structure of AICI3
- Aluminium chloride (AICI3) comprises aluminium and chlorine atoms combined in 1:3 ratio.
- 2713AI →1s22s22p63s23p1 has 3 valence electrons and valencyAI3+.
- Aluminium chloride is an ionic halide with cubic coordinate-layer lattice in solid state.
- AICI3 is an electron deficient compound that behave as Lewis acids.
- Electron deficient compounds have tendency to accept pair of electrons to achieve stable electronic configuration.
- AICI3 achieves stability by forming tetrahedral dimer AI2CI6 in liquid or molten state.
- AICI3 forms dimer AI2CI6 because for completing its octet configuration, vacant 3d orbitals accommodates an electron from chlorine atom.
AICI3 forms dimer AI2CI6 in liquid or molten state.