. Explain the nutrition in pitcher plant with diagram
Pitcher plants perform both autotrophic and heterotrophic nutrition.
- They perform the process of photosynthesis.
- They perform heterotrophic nutrition by eating insects to complete the demand of nitrogen.
- The pitcher cup has digestive glands at the base which secretes digestive juice.
- The pitcher cup is slippery and when an insect lands on the surface of the peristome, it falls in the digestive liquid and the lid closes.
- Insects get digested by the digestive enzyme and nitrogen is absorbed by the walls of the pitcher cup.
Final answer :-
Hence, this is the explanation of nutrition in pitcher plants with a diagram.