. Photochemical smog consists of
A: O3, SO2 and hydrocarbons
B: O3, PAN and NOx
C: SO3, CO2 and hydrocarbons
D: SO2, PAN and smoke
- Brownish opaque smog with little smoke and oxidizing environment.
- Photochemical smog contains photochemical oxidants.
- Nitrogen dioxide from automobiles split into nascent oxygen and nitric oxide.
- Nascent oxygen combines with molecules of oxygen to form ozone.
- Ozone further reacts with carbohydrates(from automobile exhaust) to form aldehydes and ketones.
- Ketones, oxygen and Nitrogen oxides form PAN (peroxy-acyl-nitrates).
So, The correct option is B.
Photochemical smog consists of O3, PAN and NOx