. State differences between acids and bases
- Acids are those substances which gives H+ ions in the solutions.
- Acids are sour in taste.
- Their pH value is less than 7.
- Good conductor of heat and electricity.
- Acids liberate hydrogen gas when they react with metals
Examples: Hydrochloric acid, Nitric acid etc.
- Bases are those substances which gives OH- ions in the solutions.
- Bases are bitter in taste.
- Their pH value is greater than 7.
- Good conductor of heat and electricity in aqueous solution.
- Bases have a slippery appearance.
Example: Sodium hydroxide, Baking soda etc.
Acids and bases can be differentiated by pH having less than 7 pH value are acid and greater than 7 are bases.