. Vertebrochondral ribs in man are
A: 8th, 9th, 10th rib
B: 7th, 8th, 9th rib
C: 9th, 10th, 11th rib
D: 6th, 7th, 8th rib
- There are 24 ribs in total. Each rib is a narrow flat bone that connects the vertebral column dorsally and the sternum ventrally.
- It is named bicephalic because it has two articulation surfaces on its dorsal end.
- True ribs are the first seven pairs of ribs. They are attached to the thoracic vertebrae on the dorsal side and connected to the sternum on the ventral side by hyaline cartilage.
- The eighth to twelfth pairs of ribs are referred to as vertebrochondral ribs.
- The costal cartilages of the ribs above them connect the ninth to tenth pairs of ribs to the sternum indirectly.
Hence, the correct answer is option A: 8th, 9th, 10th rib.