. What is a bisexual flower
Collect five bisexual flowers from your neighbourhood and with the help of your teacher find out their common and scientific names.
- A flower that contains reproductive organs from both male and female is called a bisexual flower.
- The male reproductive part is called androecium and the female part is called the gynoecium.
- Petals , sepals, are accessory whorls and are involved in protection of the reproductive inner part of flower.
- stamen and carpel are essential whorls and are involved in sexual reproduction.
- Petals are the coloured part of the flower, sepal is the green part of the flower that is a tiny leaf-like present near the base of the flower.
- Stamen consists of a long filament to which anther is attached and carpel consists of stigma, style and ovary.
- Five bisexual flowers in our neighbourhood are as follows-
- Rose Rosa rubiginosa
- Sunflower Helianthus annuus
- China rose Hibiscus rosasinensis
- Lily Lilium candidum
- Tulip Tulipa gesneriana
The above mentioned points correctly define bisexual flowers.