. What is meant by emasculation
How is it useful in plant breeding programme
- Emasculation is a method of plant hybridization that includes removing anthers from bisexual flowers while preserving the female reproductive part (pistil).
- Plant breeders employ bisexual flower emasculation to develop the desired plant variety by crossing a specific plant with the desired pollen grain.
- The anthers are removed from the flowers by covering them with a bag before they open.
- This guarantees that the flower is fertilised only with pollen grains from favourable species.
- The mature, viable, and stored pollen grains are then dusted on the bagged stigma, allowing artificial pollination and the creation of the chosen plant variety.
Final Answer :
Plant breeders use emasculation in bisexual flowers to create the desired variety of a plant by crossing a specific plant with the desired pollen grain.