. what is meant by energy pyramid

Best Answer

Explanation and Final Answer : 

  • The energy trapped per unit time and area in different levels of a food chain is shown as a graphical representation in the form of Energy Pyramid.
  • Since the flow of energy is always unidirectional, the pyramid of energy is always upright. 
  • The energy which is stored by the autotrophs in the form of food is available to the herbivores as food. 
  • Only 10% of this energy is stored by herbivores in their biomass and the remaining 90% is used by them in metabolic activities. 
  • Similarly, only 10% of the energy of the lower trophic level is available for the organisms of the next higher trophic level. 
  • Thus, the pyramid of energy depends only upon the energy in each trophic level.

Talk to Our counsellor