. Write the IUPAC name
Write the IUPAC name of CH3COCH2COCH3 .
- The compound CH3-CO-CH2-CO-Ch3 contains five carbon atoms in the chain bounded by a single bond, so the word root will be pentane.
- The compound CH3-CO-CH2-CO-Ch3 comprises the functional group ketone at the second and fourth carbon.
- The suffix for ketone is ‘-one’.
- As the ketone group is present at two positions, hence di- will be added before -one.
- The numbering of the chain should be done in such a way that the attached functional groups receive the lowest number.
- The IUPAC name of CH3-CO-CH2-CO-Ch3 is Pentane-2,4-dione.
Hence, the IUPAC name of CH3-CO-CH2-CO-Ch3 is Pentane-2,4-dione.