. Write the Significance of Mitosis
1. Mitosis helps in the maintenance of genetic stability. The chromosomal number is maintained constant among the daughter cells. The daughter cells are genetically identical to their parent cells.
2. Mitosis is responsible for the growth and development of the multicellular organisms. The increase in tissue mass occurs due to increase in the number of cells. This process is called hyperplasia.
3. Mitosis helps in maintenance of the nuclear cytoplasmic ratio. An overgrown cell is induced to divide.
4. Mitosis helps in replacing worm out cells and tissues. Injured and dead tissues are replaced by the healthy cells of the specific tissue through mitosis.
5. Regeneration of damaged part of an organ occurs through mitosis.
6. Asexual reproduction in unicellular organism involves mitosis.