ICSE Worksheet for chapter-11 Sulphuric Acid class 10
Worksheet For class 10
This page is prepared by the Academic team of Physics Wallah which consists of ICSE Board Worksheet for Class 10 Chemistry. Students of Class 10 Chemistry can get a free Worksheet for Class 10 Chemistry in PDF format prepared as per the newest syllabus and examination pattern in your schools.
Standard 10 students can practice questions and answers which are given here for Chemistry in Grade 10 that will help them to improve their knowledge of all important chapters and their topics. Students can also download free pdf of Class 10 Chemistry Notes prepared by teachers and solve important problems provided here with solutions on daily basis to get more scores in school exams and tests.
If any students need to take the online test to check their concepts or undertstanding then they can visit Chemistry Quiz for Class 10.
- Introduction, general methods of preparation
- Manufacture of Sulphuric acid by contact process
- Physical and chemical properties, test and uses
Section - 1
Q1. Name the following
- Type of sulphur obtained by cooling sulphur vapour.
- Acid obtained by dissolving sulphur dioxide in water.
- Bleaching agent used to bleach delicate articles.
- Process by which sulphur is boiled with rubber.
- A neutral oxide of carbon formed when formic acid reacts with concentrated sulphuric acid.
- The process involved during bleaching action of sulphur dioxide.
- The solution which turns black on coming in contact with hydrogen sulphide.
- Catalyst used during contact process.
- Basicity of sulphuric acid.
- Gas obtained by dehydration of ethanol.
- A black colored substance formed when sugar is dehydrated.
- An organic acid which on reaction with concentrated sulphuricacid, produces two oxides of carbon.
- Atomicity of sulphur
- Green coloured compound formed when SO2 is passed through acidified K2Cr2O7.
Q2. Which property of sulphuric acid is used in the following:
- As a source of hydrogen when treated in dilute form with metals like Zn, Mg, Fe etc.
- Production of hydrogen chloride on treating concentrated acid with sodium chloride.
- Production of sulphur dioxide on heating in concentrated form with copper turnings.
- Liberation of sulphur from H2S with concentrated form.
- Charring of sugar with hot concentrated acid.
- Liberation of ethylene gas with hot concentrated acid.
- Liberation of carbon monoxide with hot concentrated acid.
Section - 2
Q3. Giving suitable reasons, explain the following:
In the manufacture of sulphuric acid by contact process:
- The impurity of arsenic oxide must be removed before passing the mixture of sulphur dioxide and air through catalytic chamber.
- For the production of concentrated sulphuric acid, sulphur trioxide is not directly dissolved in water.
- When blue crystals of copper (II) sulphate are added to concentrated sulphuric acid- a less volatile acid- the crystals turn white. Explain.
Q4. What happens when following substances are reacted with sulphuric acid? Give a balanced chemical equation in each case.
- Iron sulphide
- Sodium chloride
- Bleaching powder
- Zinc metal
- Barium chloride
Q5. Chemical name of oleum is ____________.
- Why SO3 formed is not absorbed directly in water ?
- Why vanadium pentaoxide is considered as a better catalyst than platinized asbestos ?
- Why heating of catalyst is discontinued the moment the oxidation of SO2 takes place?
Q6. How will you test sulphuricacid ?
Q7. Give examples of the use of sulphuric acid as :
- An electrolyte in everyday use.
- Non-volatile acid.
- An oxidizing agent
Q8. Why a black spongy mass is formed when concentrated sulphuric acid is added to sugar?
Q9. Distinguish between a drying agent and dehydrating agent.]
Q10. Dilute hydrochloric acid and dilute sulphuric acid are both colourless solutions. How will the addition of barium chloride solution to each, help to distinguish between the two ? (ICSE 2007)
Q11. The following question relate to concentrated nitric acid and concentrated sulphuric acid:
- Write the balanced equation for the oxidation of carbon by concentrated sulphuric acid
- With what should concentrated nitric acid be reacted to produce sulphuric acid
- With what compound should concentrated sulphuric acid be reacted in order to produce nitric acid?
- What is seen when concentrated sulphuric acid is added to copper sulphate crystals?
- Name a gas which cannot be dried using concentrated sulphuric acid and give the reason for not using concentrated sulphuric acid.
- Write the balanced equation for the reaction between copper and concentrated nitric acid.
- The manufacturing of nitric acid sulphuric acid involves the use of a catalyst at some stage.
Name the catalyst used in the manufacture of
- Nitric acid
- Sulphuric acid.
Write the balanced equation for the reaction which involves the catalyst during the manufacture of nitric acid from ammonia.
Q12. Name the oxide of sulphur which reacts with eater to give sulphuric acid.
- Why this oxide of sulphur is not directly absorbed in water in the contact process?
- Why calculated amount of soft water is added to oleum in the Contact process?
- Give balanced equations for the reducing reactions of ammonia with (i) CuO and (ii) PbO
- Write corrected balanced equations for the reaction of dilute sulphuric acid with each of the following:
- Sodium carbonate
- Iron (II) sulphide
- Magnesium oxide
Q13. What happens when a drop of conc. Sulphuric acid is added to a piece of white paper? What is the reaction for it?
Q14. Give two reactions to show that sulphuric acid contains hydrogen and sulpate ions. Write equations for the reactions
- State the merits of V2O5 as catalyst used in the Contact Process.
- How would you remove sulphur sticking to a crucible?
Q15. ‘Sulphuric acid’ behaves as an acid, when diluted with water, why is this so?
- Give two industrial uses of sulphuric acid?
- Explain why; In the manufacturing of suphuric acid by the ‘Contact Process’ the catalyst is initially heated, but once the reaction starts the external heating is stopped.
Q16. Calculate the vapour density of sulphur dioxide SO2.[S=32,O=16]
- Why is sulphuric acid used in petroleum refining?
- What is the function of concentrated sulphuric acid in the preparation of carbon monoxide from oxalic acid?