The Process of Nutrition
Nutrition in animals of Class 7
The Process of Nutrition and its examples
Animals have highly evolved digestive mechanism that includes two basic components:
Alimentary canal: Long, hollow, tubular structure consisting of various organs for digestion.
Digestive glands: They secrete enzymes / hormones which help in digestion.
Digestion in animals consists of following steps:
- Ingestion: The process of intake of food.
- Digestion: It is the breakdown of large and complex molecules into simpler, smaller and soluble forms.
- Absorption: Taking up of the digested food through intestinal wall to blood.
- Assimilation: In this process absorbed food is taken by body cells.
- Egestion: The process by which undigested matter is expelled out.