CAT 2023 Exam Dates, Registration, Pattern, Syllabus, Cut off
Common Admission Test or CAT is the most popular examination for the candidates willing to pursue a master’s degree from top B-schools. Getting a degree from the reputed B-school is still a dream for many aspirants.
The CAT Exam is the entry-level examination for the candidates to get into the colleges. Today we’ll enlist all the necessary details required to learn if you’re an MBA aspirant preparing for the CAT Examination.
What is CAT Examination?
Common Admission Test shortly named as CAT Examination is the national-level management aptitude test, that a candidate has to given if they are willing to get into top B-schools for the MBA program.
CAT Exam is considered as the biggest entrance examination in India also known as the IIM Entrance Test. It is a computer-based examination with a duration of 3 hours. The date of CAT 2023 Examination is yet to be announced.
CAT Examination Highlights
|No. of Questions||66 (tentative)|
|Sections in Exam||3; VARC, DILR and QA|
|Exam Duration||2 hours|
|Time Allotted per Section||40 minutes|
|Slots for Exam||3|
|Mode of Exam||Computer-based Exam|
|Medium of Instruction||English|
|Types of Questions||MCQ and TITA|
|CAT Marking Scheme||
+3 for every right answer
-1 for every wrong answer
TITA has no negative marking
CAT Examination Registration
According to data, every year more than 3 lakh student appear for the CAT Examination. The expected of the CAT 2023 examination is to be in the month of November only. The new notification will be released for the 2023 examination is in the month of July and August.
Here’s the step by step guide to register yourself for the examination:
Step 1: Login to the official website of the IIM CAT on iimcat.in
Step 2: Click on the ‘register’ button under the new candidate registration bar and create your candidate user id by mentioning your entire details.
Step 3: Click on the bar ‘Generate OTP’ to get the one time password on your registered mobile number.
Step 4: Enter the OTP and verify your registration for the CAT examination
Step 5: Click on the Login button and enter your registration number generated in the last step
Step 6: Enter all the necessary details mentioned in the registration form
Step 7: Select the minimum test cities asked to choose in the application form and choose the IIMs
Step 8: Pay the CAT application fees via debit/credit card or through net banking and click on the button submit.
Step 9: Take a printout of the application form for the future reference.
Suggested: CAT Registration 2023
Syllabus of CAT 2023
The syllabus of the CAT Examination is quite complex. The IIMs have not provided the exact CAT Syllabus for the CAT Examination, so the students has to go with the entire syllabus to get good score in the examination.
To get into the top B-schools is not an easy task but with the exceptional knowledge of syllabus for the MBA 2023 examination with the immense preparation. You can easily crack the CAT Examination.
|CAT Exam Syllabus||Topics|
Quantitative Aptitude – Number System, Geometry
Time and Work, Algebra, Mensuration and Arithmetic
|Logical Reasoning & Data Interpretation||
Puzzles, Seating Arrangement, Blood Relation,Syllogism,
Coding and Decoding Tables, Graphs, Data Caselets
|Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension||
Reading Comprehension, Para Jumbles, Para Summary,
Verbal Ability, Odd Sentence Out
CAT 2023 Exam Pattern
Before starting with your CAT Examination Preparation, first you need to go through the examination pattern so that you can understand the CAT examination and its functioning entirely.
Below listed is the complete guide CAT 2023 Exam Pattern that you need to understand before you go with your examination preparation:
- CAT (Common Admission Test) Examination is a 3 hour examination conducted in the online mode within a duration that has been revised as 2 hours.
- There’ll be three sections in the CAT Examination named as:
- Quantitative Aptitude
- Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation
- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension
- You can look at the syllabus and other details above.
- The number of questions in the examination will be 76 consisting of 228 marks with:
- VARC - 26 Questions
- DILR - 24 Questions
- QA - 26 Questions
- You will be awarded with 3 marks with each correct answer and your 1 mark will be deducted for every wrong answer
Evolution of CAT Examination
In the last decade, the CAT examination has undergone several changes since the time has changed from the pen paper mode to the computer based test:
Total Number of
Questions in each Section
|Total Number of Questions|
Verbal ability and
Verbal ability, Logical reasoning
Quantitative Ability , Data interpretation
Courses Offered by IIMs
IIMs offer a variety of courses to the candidates willing to get admission into the top B-schools. Here’s the list of all the IIMs and the courses offered by them:
- IIM Calcutta - MBA
- IIM Ahmedabad- PGP, PGP-FABM
- IIM Bangalore- PGP, PGPEM, PGPBA
- IIM Lucknow- PGP, PGP-ABM, PGP-SM
- IIM Kozhikode- PGP, PGP-BL, PGP-F, PGP-LSM, EPGP Kochi
- IIM Indore- PGP, PGP-HRM
- IIM Shillong- PGP, PGPEX, PGPWE
- IIM Rohtak- PGP, EPGPX, EPGDSM
- IIM Ranchi- PGP, PGP-HRM, PGP (Business Analytics)
- IIM Raipur- PGP
- IIM Udaipur- MBA, MBA-DEM, MBA-GSCM, PGDBA
- IIM Nagpur- PGP
- IIM Tiruchirappalli- PGPM, PGPM-HR, PGPBM
- IIM Kashipur- MBA, MBA (Analytics), EMBA
- IIM Visakhapatnam- PGP, PGPEX, PGPDGM
- IIM Bodh Gaya- PGP
- IIM Amritsar- MBA, EMBA, MBA-Business Analytics, MBA-HRM
- IIM Sambalpur- MBA, Executive MBA
- IIM Sirmaur- MBA, MBA (T&HM)
- IIM Jammu- Executive MBA (Blended Mode)
CAT 2023 Eligibility
All the courses offered through the CAT 2023 examination are all the masters or in simple terms are post graduation/ doctorate courses. Check out the required CAT eligibility criteria for the candidates:
- Candidates must be in the final year of their graduation/ waiting for their result to be eligible for the CAT examination.
- All the candidates completed their graduation with an aggregate of 50% for General and 45% for the SC/ST or disabled will be eligible to register for the examination.
- All the candidates completed their CA/CMA/CS with an aggregate of 50% will also be eligible to register for the CAT 2023.
Non-IIM Universities Accepting the CAT Score
Other than the top IIMs there’re other top B-schools as well, accepting the CAT examination score. Here’s the list of all the other universities accepting the CAT examination score:
- FMS, Delhi University
- SPJIMR, Mumbai
- MDI, Gurgaon
- IMT, Ghaziabad
- IIT Kanpur-IME
- IMI, Delhi
- IIT Delhi - DoMs
- IIT Bombay-SJMSOM
- IIT Madras-DoMs
- IIT Roorkee-DoMs
- IIT Kharagpur-VGoSM
- IIT Dhanbad-ISM
- Great Lakes Institute of Management
- IMT, Nagpur
- IMI, Kolkata
- IPE, Hyderabad
- ITM, University
- Institute of Management, Nirma University
- IIITM, Gwalior
- Goa Institute of Management (GIM), Goa
CAT 2023 Exam Centers
As CAT exam is the computer-based test conducted in the online mode, students have to select some cities as their examination center. To make the examination more biased and clear, the authority conducts the CAT examination on the respective centers. Here’s the list of all the examination centers for the CAT Examination.
|S No:||Name of the State||CAT 2021 Exam Cities|
|1||Andaman and Nicobar||Port Blair|
|47||Jammu & Kashmir||Jammu|
|49||Jharkhand||Bokaro Steel City|
|99||New Delhi||New Delhi|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Is CAT examination tough?
Ans. Yes, CAT examination is known to be the toughest examination out of all the entrance examination required for a post graduate degree.
Q2. When is CAT examination 2023?
Ans. The CAT examination for 2023 will be conducted in the month of November 2023.
Q3. What is the CAT eligibility criteria?
Ans. We’ve mentioned all the CAT eligibility criteria in the above mentioned page.
Q4. When should I start preparing for the CAT examination 2023?
Ans. The ideal time for start preparing for the CAT examination is 12 months before the examination.
Q5. What is the CAT 2022 result announcement date?
Ans. The CAT result 2023 will be announced in the first week of January 2023.