GATE Scholarship- Application, Selection, Amount & More
Dec 05, 2022, 16:45 IST
If you are wondering about applying for the GATE Scholarship and want to know what the selection process entails, and how much money you can get in this scholarship, this article serves as a perfect guide to ll your queries.Read the blog to know more details in depth!
- The GATE exam is an entrance exam for engineering and science students in India. It is conducted by the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) on behalf of the National Coordination Board (NCB)-GATE. The exam tests the comprehensive understanding of the candidates in various undergraduate subjects in Engineering, Technology, Architecture and Science.
- GATE 2023 will be held from February 5 to 7, 2023. The application process will start from September 1, 2022 and will close on October 31, 2022. Candidates who are interested in applying for the exam can do so through the official website of GATE - http://www.gate.iitb.ac.in/.
- The selection of candidates for GATE scholarship is based on their performance in the GATE examination. A total of 2,50,000 candidates are expected to qualify for the scholarship this year. The amount of scholarship varies depending on the category of institution (IIT/ IISC /NIT /IIIT /Others) to which a candidate has been admitted.
- GATE Scholarship is a scheme that provides an amount of Rs 12,400 every month to the students enrolled in PG programs through the GATE Examination.
- The GATE Scholarship is provided by the Indian Government to promote and encourage students to pursue higher education in India. The scheme is administered by the Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development.
- The GATE Scholarship is available for students pursuing full-time postgraduate courses (M.E./M.Tech./Ph.D.) in engineering and technology at Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), National Institutes of Technology (NITs), Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs) and other centrally funded technical institutions (CFTIs). The scholarship is also available for students enrolled in postgraduate programs in Architecture and Pharmacy at IITs and NITs only.
The GATE scholarship is a need-based scholarship for students who are enrolled in an accredited college or university and are pursuing a degree in engineering, technology, or any other field of study that is related to the field of engineering.
The application procedure is simple and is explained further-
- Candidate should fill out an online application form regarding the scholarship.
- The form must be complete in all respects and should be submitted to the official site of the organization.
- A candidate should compulsarily fill all the required sections and bank account details on the form for easy certification process.
- After the submission of the form online, a candidate can submit a hard copy of the form to their respective institutions.
The GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) Scholarship is a need-based scholarship awarded to eligible Indian students who wish to pursue higher education in engineering and related disciplines at the post-graduate level.
To be eligible for the GATE Scholarship, candidates must-
- Apart from Indian students, applicants from these countries are eligible
- Sri Lanka
- United Arab Emirates
- Have secured admission to a full-time post-graduate course in engineering or related discipline at an institute recognized by the Government of India
- Have a valid GATE score
- Meet the minimum eligibility criteria as specified by the respective funding agency
- The candidate should not receive any form of scholarship or any salary, stipend, etc. from source during their time course of study in the Institute.
- The candidate must undertake an 8/10 hour activity/work. This can be related to teaching and research as given to them by the Institute.
The amount of the GATE Scholarship is typically around INR 12,400 per month. Selected candidates will be required to submit additional documents such as proof of income and educational qualifications.
An amount of Rs 12,400 every month is provided to the students those who are enrolled in post-graduation courses.
For MTech students, the duration of the scholarship is 2 years i.e as long as they pursue their masters (24 months) while for Phd students, the scholarship can be extended ( as long as they get qualified) and the amount is Rs 25,000.
More details regarding the scholarship are as follows-
|Scholarship Amount (Monthly)||INR 12,400|
|Scholarship Duration||2 Years|
|Eligibility||Valid Scores in GATE|
To apply for the GATE Scholarship, candidates must submit the following documents:
- A completed and signed application form
- A copy of the official GATE scorecard
- A valid ID photo proof
- A PDF copy of the passbook
- Aadhaar card (Students of J&K, Meghalaya, and Assam are exempted)
- A PDF copy of the caste certificate
- A PDF copy of the Non-Creamy Layer (NCL) certificate in respect of only OBC candidates. Non-Creamy Layer (NCL) should not be old more than 1 year
- Signature in running handwriting
GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) is an all-India examination conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science and seven Indian Institutes of Technology on behalf of the National Coordination Board – GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India.
The main purpose of GATE is to identify the meritorious and motivated candidates for admission to postgraduate programs in engineering, technology, architecture and pharmacy at the national level. In addition, many public and private sector organizations use the GATE score for recruiting graduate engineers as entry-level executives.
Given below are some benefits that a student can avail by appearing for GATE-
- Scholarships: Many scholarships and fellowships are offered to students based on their GATE score. Some of these include the prestigious JNUEE Fellowship, IISc Fellowship, etc.
- Job Opportunities: As mentioned earlier, several PSUs (Public Sector Undertakings) and other organizations use GATE scores for recruiting graduate engineers at entry-level executive positions.
- Training Programs: Some training programs like those offered by NTPC, BHEL, IOCL also consider GATE scores while selecting candidates for their programs.
- Waiver of Application Fee: Students who have qualified GATE are exempted from paying application fees for M.Tech./PhD programs at various IITs, NITs and CFTIs.
- Eligibility for Teaching Assistantship: GATE score is also considered for awarding Teaching Assistantship (TA) to candidates pursuing M.Tech./PhD at various institutes.
- Higher Chances of Admission: A good GATE score increases the chances of getting admission in good colleges, both in India and abroad.
- Recognition: GATE is recognized by many foreign institutions as well. A good GATE score will help you pursue your MS or PhD degree from a reputed foreign university.
- Loan: Banks also provide loan facility to those students who have qualified GATE.
- Self-Satisfaction: Last but not the least, appearing and qualifying GATE gives a sense of satisfaction and achievement.
There are a variety of resources available to help you prepare for the GATE exam. The best resources for GATE exam preparation include:
- GATE Study Guides: There are a number of study guides available that can help you better understand the material covered on the GATE exam. These study guides can also provide helpful tips and strategies for taking the exam.
- GATE Practice Tests: Practice tests are an important part of preparing for any exam. Taking practice tests can help you become more familiar with the format of the GATE exam and the types of questions that will be asked. Additionally, practicing your test-taking skills can help reduce test anxiety on exam day.
- Online Resources: There are a number of online resources that can be used to supplement your GATE preparation. These resources can provide additional practice questions, as well as helpful tips and strategies.
- Physics Wallah:
This is one of the best channels for GATE preparation. The video lectures are really helpful in understanding the concepts. They also provide mock test series, live doubt sessions and one on one teacher student interaction for better preparation strategy. Try them today for the best GATE preparation!
The GATE scholarship is a great opportunity for students who want to pursue a degree in engineering or another science-related field. The application process is competitive, but the reward of receiving the scholarship is worth it. If you are selected for the scholarship, you will receive a set amount of money that can be used to cover tuition and other expenses related to your studies.
If you are interested in applying for the GATE scholarship, be sure to start the process early and put your best foot forward. With hard work and dedication, you could be one of the lucky few who are selected to receive this prestigious award.
The amount of the scholarship is also very generous. If you are thinking about applying for the GATE scholarship, we encourage you to do so. An if you're planning to crack GATE at your earliest then Physics Wallah is always here to help!
Q.1. Which is the best book to prepare for GATE?
Ans. You can checkout our article for best books for GATE.
Q.2. Can we write GATE in 1st year?
Ans. No, you cannot write GATE in your 1st year.
Q.3. How many GATE Preparation books should I refer to for each subject?
Ans. You can refer as many books as you want to but it would be smart to figure out 2-2 books per subject for less complications.
- GATE vs ESE: A Comparative Analysis of Paper Patterns and Exam Structures
- What Is The Difference Between Civil Engineering and Architecture
- 5 Unrevealed Hidden Facts Regarding The GATE Exam and Preparation
- List Of All PSUs Through the GATE Examination
- 6 Best Opportunities After GATE Exam
- How Much Engineering Category Comes Under in GATE Entrance Exam
- Online V/S Offline GATE (ESE) Coaching Classes - Differences, Comparison, and a Solved Debate
- IIT-Kanpur has Released GATE-2023 Result - How To Check & Download
- Cracking GATE 2023 - Key Dates for Answer Key, Response Sheet, and Result Announcement
- GATE CE - Paper Analysis 2023 - A Comprehensive Review for Civil Engineering Aspirants