Some Important Terms Used In The Reflection Of Light
Light of Class 10
Let us consider the reflection of light by a plane mirror as shown in the diagram.
Any ray of light that strikes the reflecting surface is called the incident ray. In the below figure ‘AO’ is the incident ray.
POINT OF INCIDENCE:
The point of incidence is that point at which light is incident on the reflecting surface. i.e., the point at which the incident ray falls on the reflecting surface.
In below figure ‘O’ is the point of incidence.
The perpendicular drawn to the reflecting surface at the point of incidence is called normal. In the above figure, ‘ON’ is the normal.
The ray of light which is turned back after reflection into the same medium in which the incident light is travelling is called the reflected ray.
In above figure OB is the reflected ray.
ANGLE OF INCIDENCE:
The angle of incidence is the angle made by the incident ray with the normal at the point of incidence.
The angle between the incident ray and the normal to the surface is called angle of incidence.
In the above figure, ∠AON is the angle of incidence.
- Some Important Terms Related With Light
- Reflection Of Light
- Some Important Terms Used In The Reflection Of Light
- Laws Of Reflection
- Plane Mirror
- Some Important Terms Related To Spherical Mirrors
- Mirror Formula
- Linear Magnification Produced By Mirrors
- Refraction Of Light
- Optical Density
- Spherical Lenses
- Principal Focus And Focal Length Of A Convex Lens
- Principal Focus And Focal Length Of A Concave Lens
- Sign Convection For Refraction By Spherical Lenses
- Lens Formula
- Linear Magnification Produced By Lenses
- Some Important Conclusions
- Power Of A Lens
- Solved questions
- Exercise 1
- Exercise 2
- Exercise 3
- Exercise 4 (Subjective)