Characteristics of root
Types of root system
On the basis of place of origin, there are two types of root system. All Biology Doubts are explained by academic team of Physics Wallah
(i) Tap root system or normal root system
- Tap root develops from radicle
- The primary tap root grows and gives rise to secondary and tertiary roots forming tap root system.
- They are deep feeders
- g. Dicot
(ii) Adventitious root system
- They develop from any part of the plant body except radicle of seed.
- They may arise from nodes, internodes, base of stem and leaves
- They are usually shallow surface feeders.
- g. Monocot
Modifications of tap root
To perform functions other than normal i.e., assimilation, storage of food etc., tap root gets modified into following types:
Spindle shaped i.e. root becomes thicker in the middle and tapering on both ends e.g. Radish (Raphanus sativus).
Cone like i.e. broad at the base and gradually tapers towards the apex. e.g. Carrot (Daucus carota).
It is swollen at the base and tapers abruptly in the apical region. e.g. Turnip (Brassica rapa)., Sugar beet (Beta vulgaris)